Edward III Manor House
King Edward III is remembered in history for starting the Hundred Years War, annexing large parts of France for England, as well as being the reigning king during the period of the Black Death. What he is infinitely less well-known for, is building a small royal residence at Rotherhithe in South East London, the remains of which can still be seen today. The remains of the so called King Edward III’s Manor House are near the Thames in Rotherhithe in London. The house was built around 1350 by King Edward III when Rotherhithe was just a small hamlet in low lying marshland. The manor house itself was built on a small island directly next to the River Thames and consisted of several stone buildings arranged around a courtyard. These included a hall with a fireplace, the private apartments of the king, kitchens and further buildings. The function of the house is disputed. It seems unlikely that it was a hunting lodge. However, it has been suggested that it was a falconry. In the 16th century the house was sold to private owners. In the 17th century the place became a pottery. In the following 18th and 19th century the area was built up with warehouses and the remains of the manor house were incorporated into a warehouse. The facade of the manor house was still standing in 1907. The warehouse was demolished in the 1970s. Excavations were conducted in the 1980s and the remaining parts preserved.